What We Believe
The Profession of Faith is a great place to start when trying to understand what we, as Catholics, believe. We say the prayer every Sunday. The words become so ingrained that as we recite it we sometimes stop thinking about what the words mean. This prayer reinforces the foundation of our Catholic beliefs – beliefs held strong for more than 2,000 years. Here’s what we believe:
- We believe in one God – who created all things on earth, and in heaven.
- We believe that God sent his only son to save all of us from sin. That Jesus’ mission was to become man, suffer and die for us, so we can live eternally with God, his Father.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit, combined with God and Jesus is part of the Holy Trinity, inspired those who came before us long ago and continues to silently guide us with grace today.
- We believe we are part of the bigger collective group of Roman Catholics all over the world.
- We believe that baptism saves us from sin and cleanses us so we may live forever with God our Father.
So, next time when a friend asks what Catholics believe you can tell them.