Circle of Grace is a safe environment program developed by the Archdiocese of Omaha in response to the sexual abuse crisis in the Catholic Church. The program serves the dual purpose of educating and forming youth about the value of positive relationships with God and others.
Through the program, adults assist children and youth to recognize that each of us lives within a Circle of Grace that holds our very essence in body, mind, heart, soul, and sexuality. Children and youth are taught to identify and maintain appropriate physical, emotional, spiritual and sexual boundaries; recognize when boundary violations are about to occur; and demonstrate how to take action when boundaries are threatened or violated.
This holistic concept allows children and youth to identify uncomfortable situations long before any inappropriate touch may occur. Those who molest children start to groom them by manipulation and secrecy. Circle of Grace helps children and youth to identify early on when they are uncomfortable with a situation and includes ways to seek the help of a trusted adult. The Circle of Grace K-12 Program goals and objectives are met in all grades. The program is self-contained for each grade with everything needed to teach the material.
Circle of Grace is clinically sound and grounded in the Christian tradition. Its strong parent component means parents can actively participate in their children’s education and formation.
After several years of successful implementation, testing and evaluation, the Archdiocese of Omaha is making Circle of Grace available to those responsible for creating safe environments for children. Circle of Grace has already been successfully implemented in many Catholic dioceses throughout the United States. It has been reviewed by several Christian denominations and successfully piloted. Click on the Testimonies link to read what others have to say about this user-friendly faith-based program. Curriculum is also available in Spanish. Any Christian denomination who purchase Circle of Grace receive the Spanish translations free of charge.
Why commit valuable resources to invent a safe environment program? Our experts have done it for you – and the program works! If you have any questions about this proactive and effective new program or want to review Circle of Grace free of charge for thirty days, contact Mary Beth Hanus, manager of the Office of Victim Outreach and Prevention for the Archdiocese of Omaha. Call today!
SAMPLE CURRICULUM AND PROGRAM OVERVIEW
CIRCLE OF GRACE IS ONE OF THE FEW PROGRAMS THAT TEACH:
- God’s presence and assistance in difficult and confusing situations as an essential component in its K-12 curriculum
- A philosophy that can be used throughout the year as a concept that reinforces God’s real presence in our lives, respect and skills of how to make good choices
- The sacredness of each person and how relationships are called to be experiences of divine love
- Beyond the “safe- touch” models by addressing the whole person thus is able to teach how boundary violations can occur through all of our senses
- A holistic approach giving children and youth the skills to identify uncomfortable situations long before inappropriate touch occurs
- Children and youth to identify the “trusted adults” in their lives in addition to their parents
- Parents by informative letters, lesson handouts and education material
CIRCLE OF GRACE IS ONE OF THE FEW PROGRAMS THAT HAS:
- each lesson correlated with appropriate Christian teachings
- evaluation results that show effectiveness
- pre- and post-assessments for grades
- philosophy and goals which are consistent throughout the K-12 curriculum
- comprehensive and self contained materials for each grade
- the ability to customize the program with local contact information
- an administrators section with all the information needed for implementation
- a training CD for all who purchase the program
- a significantly lower cost than other programs
Click here to view sample activities and Circle Grace curriculum.